- Operational Area: Munshiganj, Rangpur, Dinajpur
- Funding Partner: Netherlands Space Office (NSO)
- Implementing Partner: Wageningen University and Research (WUR), TerraSphere
- Number of Services Provided: 47,000+
- Farmers Reached: 41,000+
- Impact Findings:
- Average yield increase is 15% for GEOPOTATO farmers
- Average financial benefit for individual farmer is 200 Euros for GEOPOTATO service receiving farmers in comparison to Non- GEOPOTATO farmers
- Randomized Control Trial reported farmers who received branded alert were 18% more likely to purchase product of that brand (Source: Geopotato Evaluation Report 2018-19, Wageningen University & Research, GeoPotato Final Report, Precision Agriculture for Development)
Geopotato is a geodata driven decision support system (DSS) that provides early alert to registered farmers for spraying preventive fungicide via SMS and Voice Message three (3) days prior to a possible late blight attack. GEOPOTATO DSS combines satellite image processing data of potato crop biomass growth and real-time weather data from Automatic Weather Stations (AWS) to determine conducive environment for late blight attack.
LOCALIZED DISEASE ALERT
It leverages satellite image processing for crop growth and real-time weather station data to provide preventive late blight alert at individual farmer level based on sowing week.
IVR BASED FARMER SUBSCRIPTION
Farmers can easily register for the service by calling to an IVR number.
PREVENTIVE ALERT BY SMS AND VOICE MESSAGE
The technology behind the service is sophisticated but farmers receive the service in the form of SMS and Voice Message even with their basic phones.
- Ensure optimal fungicide spraying by preventive alert 3 days prior to conducive weather condition
- Less number of curative fungicide sprays has economic and environmental